Staff Chemist main responsibilities include: collect samples for analysis; perform analyses for incoming raw material, in-process products, and finished goods; perform analytical chemistry techniques such as UPLC, HPLC, FTIR, TLC, etc.; and support operations and laboratory services through various testing procedures. With limited supervision, learn and perform critical laboratory techniques, complete assigned duties, and support other laboratory functions as needed. Have acceptable knowledge of pharmaceutical dosage forms, reagents and reagent interactions, industrial chemicals, consumer products related to veterinary pharmaceuticals, and good laboratory practices. Display good understanding/knowledge of handling of active pharmaceuticals and be competent in handling hazardous pharmaceutical drugs and drug components. Chemists must be competent in analytical chemistry techniques with ability to troubleshoot issues with analytical instrumentation. Will be expected to prepare sample analysis reports, certificates of analysis, and participate in investigations.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Generous holiday and paid time off policy
- Company paid Life and AD&D insurance
- 401(k) with generous company match
- Pet Insurance
- Ability to comply with quality standards while working independently or in a team
- Self-motivated with good time management skills. Must have the ability to work in a high paced environment and meet strict deadlines
- Intermediate ability in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Intermediate knowledge of scientific principles and concepts with strong mathematical and reasoning ability
- Effectively communicates, verbally and in writing, and interprets and follows instructions
- Attention to detail, good observation skills, organization, and thorough documentation
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field (preferred)
- 3-5 years experience in laboratory setting (minimum)
- Chemists must have combination of education and/or experience to qualify
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following tasks are performed; however, other duties may be assigned.
- Prepares solutions such as test solutions, buffers, standards, markers for use in testing
- Responsible for analyzing active pharmaceuticals and veterinary pharmaceutical products for purity, potency, stability, etc. using established assays
- Performs other test procedures including Sub-Visible Particulate, Dissolution, UV-Vis, FTIR, Water Activity, pH, TLC, Container Closure, etc.
- Documents work and maintains good laboratory records in notebooks and on controlled documentation (good documentation practices)
- Communicates results with laboratory management and interacts closely with the quality assurance department
- Processes and interprets analytical data obtained from instrumentation including chromatograms/data sheets and maintains proper GMP/GLP documentation standards
- Troubleshoots laboratory equipment and analytical instrumentation
- Assists with primary data review as needed
- Assists with inventory and ordering of laboratory consumable supplies
- Performs investigational testing for Out of Specification results
- Informs Laboratory management of any problems and/or deviations that may affect the integrity of the data and recommends corrective action(s) (where appropriate)
- Performs maintenance of laboratory equipment, including but not limited to HPLC, UPLC, UV-Vis, FTIR, Dissolution, etc.
- Reviews daily calibrations for pH meters, balances, and environmental monitoring of laboratory (temperature/humidity), etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned relating to analytical and wet chemistry techniques and quality control
- Covetrus, Inc. Laboratory Services CONTROLLED COPY