Compass Pointe has partnered with a law firm in the Washington, DC area that is looking for a Billing Specialist. The Billing Specialist is responsible for managing the account set up, billing arrangements, and account and inventory management for assigned client portfolios. The Specialist develops strong collaborative relationships with the team throughout the billing cycle.
- Establishes, fosters, and maintains professional and collaborative relationships with staff and clients to ensure compliance with both attorney and client specifications.
- Verifies rates with the rate analysts, reviews and implements the outside counsel guidelines, monitors fee caps, tier discounts and matter budgets; sets up and monitors alerts; communicates with the firms Billing & Intake Committee regarding discounts, write-downs, and write-offs.
- Manages the prebill to the final bill process; ensures that billing attorneys receive accurate prebills and that they return their prebills in a timely manner; submits finalized bills/eBills in appropriate template format, adhering to the attorney and client specifications; and confirms the final bills have been submitted to the client and are posted in the accounting system.
- Collaborates with the eBilling Coordinators for new client account set-ups with eBilling requirements; collaborates with Accounting Systems Administrator to update appropriate fields according to client billing guidelines; submits invoices electronically, taking accountability for successful submission and troubleshooting issues; and proactively follows-up regarding acceptance and timely payment of eBills.
- Communicates directly with clients as requested or as established. Concisely communicates arrangements with attorneys and clients on their matters; provides clients with requested information on any special billing arrangements. Responds to all inquiries relating to same.
- Responds to inquiries relating to accruals, audits and payment reports; recommends solutions based on billing trends relating to realization; and prepares ad hoc reports upon request.
- Maintains updated pre-bill status report for assigned portfolio.
- Monitors the unapplied cash report and offers resolution when applicable and assists Accounts Receivable with accurate payment applications. Keeps partners updated on available unapplied and trust funds and applies funds when needed.
- Establishes effective back-up support processes (cross-training and knowledge transfer) to ensure seamless support for all portfolio matters.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or Business discipline preferred or equivalent experience.
- Related experience performing complex accounting analysis utilizing advanced Excel and reporting skills.
- High level of business acumen and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to assess pertinent information and anticipate needs and outcomes.
- Ability to prepare accurate, highly detailed work product and prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Talent for delivering exceptional client service through teamwork and an ability to work independently.
- Ability to exchange information and to present ideas, report facts and other information clearly and concisely.
- Strong initiative to proactively increase value to the position.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Possess reliability, dependability and motivation.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Flexibility to work additional hours as needed.