Sr Java Developer
Owings Mills, MD (2 days onsite, 3 days remote. Must be onsite day 1)
Compass Pointe has partnered with a global financial company in the Owings Mills, MD area that is looking for a Sr Java Developer. The Digital Middleware Services team is responsible for the strategic planning, construction, enhancement, and maintenance of the Firms digital web presence targeting the global and US professional investment community. Work as a Java developer focusing on changes to services running on AWS. These include services that source financial product information from an internal data mart plus other shared services utilized by the websites including login and subscription capabilities. The developer will work as part of a multi-disciplined, distributed scrum team with team members in both the US and UK.
- The development team designs, develops, modifies, adapts, and implements short- and long-term solutions to information technology needs through new and existing applications, systems, databases and applications infrastructure, reviews and interprets system requirements and business processes, and codes, tests, debugs and implements software solutions.
- Requires in-depth knowledge and expertise in their own job discipline and working knowledge of related disciplines.
- Leads projects or work streams within broader projects.
- Accountable for work of self and sometimes others, provides process and standards advice in area of specialty.
- Able to work independently with minimal guidance, as well as part of a team and acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
- Accountable for all parts of the software development lifecycle for their projects.
- Contributes to the development of best practices within their group.
- Leads code reviews and actively participates in providing feedback on others design.
- Accountable for technical debt in their own software.
- Comfortable in understanding the full application stack but will focus on the backed Java services.
- Can articulate business needs and translate them into technology solutions and work directly with business stakeholders.
- Strong experience with middleware & micro service development using Java (11 and 17 being used), Spring Framework, Docker.
- Experience with architectural design and development of containerized and serverless applications running in the AWS cloud, using such AWS components as EC2, ECS, Lambda, CloudFront, SNS, SQS, Aurora, DynamoDB.
- History of building fully test automated applications using testing tools and frameworks such as Junit, Mockito, Cucumber, WireMock, Jasmine, Karma, Protractor, Selenium.
- Comfortable with use of modern code management and CI/CD tools such as Git, GitLab, GitLab-CI, Jenkins, Artifactory.
- Proponent of agile methodology; takes leading role in sprint ceremonies, works with product owners to define scope of work, monitors and assists less experienced developers.
- Adopts Secure-SDLC mentality, building in secure coding practices, OWASP security standards, and automated static and dynamic security scanning throughout the development cycle.
- Stays current with many best-of-breed technologies.
- Programs proficiently in several languages and is comfortable switching between them.
- Shows a commitment to quality by implementing suitable software using unit/integration and acceptance testing at the time of feature development.
- Leads code reviews and actively participates in providing feedback on others designs/code.
- Oversees significant pieces of development within the development lifecycle.
- Designs and develops practical APIs and abstractions.
- Owns technical debt in their own software.
- Takes control of complex or vague problems and steps through them in a rational way.
- Makes tactical vs. strategic tradeoffs.
- Flexible in his or her thinking; able to evolve a solution when additional information or ideas are presented.